Common Mistakes Made While Painting Your Home
Painting may seem like an easy task for some. Believe it or not, it takes more than just a paintbrush and a bucket of paint to have a successful turnout. Here are a few “don’ts” written by the home advice site, Bob vila, to be aware of when painting your home by yourself.
- Choosing inferior applicators: Since paint in expensive, you may not want to spend much more on brushes and rollers. To get the desired results, it is important to invest in good quality brushes and rollers.
- Preparation: It is important to wash the walls and to make sure that any repairs that need to be done to the walls is done before painting. The wall must be 100% clean, dry, and free of any debris.
- Skipping the tape: Taping can be tedious, but this will ensure clean lines and straight edges.
- Leaving surrounding areas unprotected: Paint can be tricky to work with. It tends to go everywhere, even when being cautious. It is important to cover up any furniture if it cannot be moved. The floor should also be covered as much as possible to avoid unwanted splatters or spills.
- Forgetting primer: Primer is so important. This helps paint to stick much easier and for the paint to truly shine through. Luckily, they now sell 2-in-1 paint and primer.
- Dunking paintbrush: Dunking brush will cause the paint to dry on the bristles, making it harder to clean afterwards. The same problem exists with rollers. Dunking rollers will cause them to mat down and the paint finish will not look good. Make sure to only dip a small amount, this will also save you paint.
- Applying the second coat too soon: You must allow enough drying time before applying the second coat of paint, otherwise the pain job will be ruined. Usually paint cans will come with instructions of dry time, if not, 24 hours should be enough time.
- Letting left over paint dry: If you let your paint dry after using it, it will be good for nothing. It is recommended to keep the leftover paint for future touch- ups.
“The 8 Painting Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes.” BobVila.com, 22 Jan. 2015, www.bobvila.com/slideshow/the-8-painting-mistakes-almost-everyone-makes-48420/paint-recycling.